SERVICE PROVIDER’S TERMS OF REFERENCE
21 Oct 2019
14 Oct 2019
Contact email address
The Ikusasa Student Financial Aid Programme (ISFAP) is a key player in the tertiary education funding landscape, among the range of private bursary programmes, has been the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), which was established in 1999 with the objective of funding poor students across 26 public universities and 50 technical and vocational education and training (TVET) colleges. NSFAS has experienced several challenges in executing its mandate over the years. Of particular concern has been the growing demand for financial aid, which NSFAS cannot meet due to government fiscal constraints. In addition, broader issues of skills shortages are prevalent in the nation, particularly across science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields.
In response to these challenges faced by NSFAS, the Minister of Higher Education and Training established a Ministerial Task Team (MTT) to investigate alternative operating and funding models. ISFAP was correspondingly established and piloted in 2017, after the presentation of the pilot blueprint to Cabinet in November 2016.
When proposed, the ISFAP model was envisaged to address broader societal issues in South Africa, including:
- reducing the high dropout rates of poor and working-class students in the higher education and training sector;
- improving the employability of funded graduates;
- improving the skills profile of the country; and
- improving the partnership between the government, the private sector and higher education institutions in supporting poor and “missing middle” students.
The service provider shall provide the following documents:
- overview of the company, including its directors and management’s credentials to establish good standing
- tax compliance/exemption certificate/company registration;
- proof of legal registration of the company; and
- broad-based black economic empowerment (B-BBEE) certificate/ affidavit.
- Business Resume;
- organisational Transformation Plan;
- Team member CVs;
- Project Proposal including the budget, methodology and workplan;
For more information please see attachment above